Skip to main content

Why do we still use the N-word?

So I really like the radio version of Jay-Z’s D.O.A., Death of Auto-Tune. And his and Alicia Keys' performance of Empire State of Mind at the VMA’s blew me away. I’m thinking of purchasing The Blueprint 3 CD. But what’s giving me pause is that when I listen to the album on his MySpace page, I just can’t get past all of his references to the N-word. I mean I thought we were finally growing past this destructive behavior. A few weeks ago I saw Jay-Z on Real Time with Bill Maher. A great interview there. I remember Jay-Z explained the difference in his music today versus his earlier recordings. His “experiences are broader”, and because of that he says his music has a “wider appeal”. He’s grown tremendously and it reflects that in his lyrics. Great for him. But I don’t understand why his music continues to be laced with the N-word. He says he’s the N-word and so is everyone else. I believe he is a lyrical genius, so I’m sure Jay-Z could get a little more creative when describing someone hardcore.

I remember staying with my father when I was about 13 or 14-years old and one day riding my bike down the street, minding my own business when out of nowhere, I heard a male voice shout down at me from a second story window…

“N*gger get off my street!”

I was so caught off guard by this unexpected display of hate that I rode my bike a little further, and then turned around and decided to head back home. I don’t think I rode my bike too much more after that. I didn’t feel comfortable in that neighborhood. My father moved there just a few years before, and it was a predominately white neighborhood. I don’t recall feeling my minority status any other time before that. Before my parents got a divorce and before Dad moved to Lima, Ohio and us down to Lexington, KY, I used to attend a private Catholic School called Saint Mary’s in Lorain, Ohio. From Kindergarten through 6th grade, I was one of three black girls in the entire school building. I didn’t have a problem with that at all. I don’t even think I noticed that I was one of three for all of my grade school years. But that day riding my bike down my father’s street in Lima, Ohio, I felt like I stuck out like a sore thumb.

I hate the N-word. I don’t care who says it, but whenever I hear it, it makes me cringe. In the interview with Bill Maher, Jay-Z says he has evolved. I can’t wait till he moves a little further and gets past the N-word. I can’t wait till we all as a nation grow and see the power in that. What I mean is people from the streets can’t keep using that word to describe a homie or even a hater and then turn around in anger when a person of a different hue denounces them with that word. That’s hypocritical. It’s time for everyone to step up and grow up and as Spike Lee proclaimed in School Daze and Do The Right Thing… Wake Up!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Uproar over Cleopatra and Black/African-American Ancestry

I am so glad my parents decided to do their homework before they named me after a huge powerful figure such as Queen Nefertiti. Nefertiti was known for her beauty and her influence over her kingdom in Egypt and her pharaoh Akhenaton. Although there’s speculation of her birth place, evidence from an archeological dig back in December 1912, when her bust was unearthed, shows that Nefertiti was definitely a deep brown beauty. But not all of her successors have that trait in common. More than a thousand years later, another powerful woman ruled Egypt. Her name was Cleopatra. Cleopatra was of Greek origin and ruled during a period of Greek occupation of Egypt. She was very fair skinned and there is no evidence that there is a direct link to African Ancestry. You can find more details from the blog, BlackInCairo that I follow here... http://blackincairo.blogspot.com/2010/06/cleopatra-aint-black-noise-in-cairo-and.html . So all the folks in the Black community crying because Angelina Jolie is...

I’m Not Going To Let The 2010 Census Define Me

I hope I don’t get in trouble, but I had been putting off filling out my 2010 Census Form, and now that I have filled it out, I may not have given the response that the government wanted to see. I had been aware of the controversy regarding the word Negro, and I wasn’t too eager to deal with it. Still, I completely expected to have the opportunity to check a box that read Black, or a box that read African American or a box that read Negro. Instead, last night as I sat down to fill out my form, I discovered lumped together under one box to check, read the line.... Black, African American or Negro. Hmm... So have we fully embraced this new millennium or have we traveled back in time to the 1920’s? I remember last month talking with my Grandmother regarding the latest census and asking what she thought about the word Negro being added, and her response was; “Why did they bring that word back?” My point exactly! The reasoning behind that was because the Census Bureau felt that some older g...

The Blood We Share With Mexican-Americans

She’s beautiful and plays a Desperate Housewife on TV, and not too long ago this Mexican-American actress took a DNA test and discovered on the PBS series Faces of America, that she has African ancestry. Her name is Eva Longoria Parker, and while some viewers may have been surprised at what was revealed, I wasn’t one of them. Eight years ago a friend and I vacationed in Acapulco, Mexico. There, we had the time of our lives. We did all the touristy stuff like sightseeing and taking loads of pictures, but what captivated me the most, was the connection I discovered we had with the Mexican people. My friend Sanquetta and I stayed at the Mayan Palace Resort. The resort itself was a luxury that I had never before encountered. The lobby complete with marble floors and Mayan themes with a temple entrance was simply breathtaking. Combined with nightly entertainment, open air buffet restaurants and the longest lazy river pool in Mexico, this beach front property more than exceeded our wildest e...