Skip to main content

The Uproar over Cleopatra and Black/African-American Ancestry

I am so glad my parents decided to do their homework before they named me after a huge powerful figure such as Queen Nefertiti. Nefertiti was known for her beauty and her influence over her kingdom in Egypt and her pharaoh Akhenaton. Although there’s speculation of her birth place, evidence from an archeological dig back in December 1912, when her bust was unearthed, shows that Nefertiti was definitely a deep brown beauty.

But not all of her successors have that trait in common. More than a thousand years later, another powerful woman ruled Egypt. Her name was Cleopatra. Cleopatra was of Greek origin and ruled during a period of Greek occupation of Egypt. She was very fair skinned and there is no evidence that there is a direct link to African Ancestry.
You can find more details from the blog, BlackInCairo that I follow here... http://blackincairo.blogspot.com/2010/06/cleopatra-aint-black-noise-in-cairo-and.html.

So all the folks in the Black community crying because Angelina Jolie is slated to play Cleopatra in a new film need to do some fact checking. And speaking of Egypt, it’s my understanding that Egyptians don’t feel that they have a connection with any African-American, most likely because most African-Americans are descendent from slaves from West Africa; countries like Ghana, Nigeria, and The Ivory Coast.

I have a sister named Ranavalona, who is named after a queen from Madagascar, who named her twin daughters Anaya, looking up to God and Chinyere; God’s Gift. Names taken from the Igbo people of Nigeria. When my sister told me over the phone one day before the twins were due, the names she intended, I was so proud of her, finally names with a direct link to our ancestry, how wonderful!

Not to say that all ancestry of Black Americans originate in West Africa, because it does not. Most Black Americans are of mixed ancestry, so our ancestors not only come from West Africa, but North America and Western Europe. Some of our Ancestors are even of Mediterranean descent. Anyone ever hear of the Melungeons? Check out http://www.melungeon.org/ or http://www.melungeons.com/. I think my Granny’s father’s people have a direct connection with these people. My Mom use to tell me growing up, that Granny’s father’s people came over from Spain. For a long time I didn’t question that, but after college I started seeking explanations.

My mother’s family is from Kentucky, and from history books, Kentucky was settled by people from Ireland, Scotland, England, Germany, and Africa, so I could not put two and two together on the Spanish connection, until I dug up information one day of a mysterious group of people, from the mountains of Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina who were known to be dark skinned, but with European features. Although their origins still have not been pinpointed, it’s a great possibility that Melungeons could have shipwrecked off the eastern coast of the New World after they were kicked out of Spain as Moors and Jews during the Spanish Inquisition. Looking at photos of my great grandfather, I definitely see the possibilities.

But regardless of DNA tests, and actual evidence of Ancestry, I don’t feel African-Americans have a right to cry foul over who should play the role of a leading lady from Egypt. I think it should be up to Egyptians and people of direct Egyptian descent to decide if they want to become emotional over how Angelina Jolie portrays them. And speaking of Angelina Jolie, I like her, I like her a lot. I love just about every film that she touches, especially Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I think she’s doing a great job raising her kids, and I admire her for the Humanitarian that she is. Also, who’s to say, what’s in that actress’ DNA?

Comments

  1. Thanks for linking my blog! you make some very good points here! I love your sister and her twins' names. They are beautiful and powerful. Like, you, I wish that the black community would do some fact checking before making blanket statements about African or Egypt. The possibility that Cleo was black is so thin that it''s laughable for people who consider themselves well-educated to promulgate such a misnomer as fact

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frenchie, you're welcome! I love your blog! And Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you daughter, for the wonderful blog,the historical viewpoint was very informative. All of you all names were carefully picked for a reason, and you all in your own way making your own history by the productive lives that you live, and leaving your personal mark behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Mom for everything! I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I’m Not Going To Let The 2010 Census Define Me

I hope I don’t get in trouble, but I had been putting off filling out my 2010 Census Form, and now that I have filled it out, I may not have given the response that the government wanted to see. I had been aware of the controversy regarding the word Negro, and I wasn’t too eager to deal with it. Still, I completely expected to have the opportunity to check a box that read Black, or a box that read African American or a box that read Negro. Instead, last night as I sat down to fill out my form, I discovered lumped together under one box to check, read the line.... Black, African American or Negro. Hmm... So have we fully embraced this new millennium or have we traveled back in time to the 1920’s? I remember last month talking with my Grandmother regarding the latest census and asking what she thought about the word Negro being added, and her response was; “Why did they bring that word back?” My point exactly! The reasoning behind that was because the Census Bureau felt that some older g...

The Blood We Share With Mexican-Americans

She’s beautiful and plays a Desperate Housewife on TV, and not too long ago this Mexican-American actress took a DNA test and discovered on the PBS series Faces of America, that she has African ancestry. Her name is Eva Longoria Parker, and while some viewers may have been surprised at what was revealed, I wasn’t one of them. Eight years ago a friend and I vacationed in Acapulco, Mexico. There, we had the time of our lives. We did all the touristy stuff like sightseeing and taking loads of pictures, but what captivated me the most, was the connection I discovered we had with the Mexican people. My friend Sanquetta and I stayed at the Mayan Palace Resort. The resort itself was a luxury that I had never before encountered. The lobby complete with marble floors and Mayan themes with a temple entrance was simply breathtaking. Combined with nightly entertainment, open air buffet restaurants and the longest lazy river pool in Mexico, this beach front property more than exceeded our wildest e...