Skip to main content

A Producer’s Tale

This time last year, I was a timeshare exchange onsite resort liaison for the largest timeshare exchange company in the world. And then less than two months later… in April 2011, my company of ten years, RCI, told me they were eliminating my position. I was in shock. I was in disbelief. I cried like a baby. RCI offered to relocate me back to headquarters in Indianapolis, but I declined. Something in me told me it was time to part ways with this company of mine… that had been good to me, had great benefits, and that I had grown to love. RCI is the largest timeshare exchange company in the world. RCI does not sell timeshare at the resorts… but we (oops they) help owners exchange their properties to other resorts. So say if you own a timeshare at XYZ but wanted to travel to ABCD and then later to EFGH, then you would go through an exchange company like RCI. RCI founders created this whole exchange industry and culture in 1974.

RCI’s main competitor, II (Interval International), followed suit in 1978. But they are second rate… and their inventory no way measures up to RCI’s. The thing that made it hard for me to walk away from this company year after year, is that when RCI had excess inventory, the employees were able to exchange into it for a great vacation. In 2010, I traveled to a great resort in New Orleans for my birthday… and I think it was around this time last year that I stayed at a resort on the beach in the Outer Banks. But those days are behind me. I still LOVE to travel, and I still plan to travel extensively in this lifetime… just not for basically free. In the meantime, I’ve gone back to my true love. Making a difference in the community… by telling the truth. Over a decade ago, I was a news producer at a CBS affiliate in Tennessee… and now once again… I am a News Producer … this time in the state of Georgia. Just like last time, I produce the morning show, and so my shift starts around midnight… and I leave the station after we’re off the air, around 8 a.m. So much has changed since I last set foot in the newsroom, and still… a lot has remained the same.

The technology is completely different! I’ve had a lot of catching up to do, which is very frustrating. As rewarding as all my travel benefits were with RCI, I truly wish I had never left broadcast journalism. I hate being my age and learning how to edit again, and write again, all at a faster pace, with emphasis on stingers, and skycams, and skyviews, and web postings, and Facebook updates. But I work at a great station, the number one news station in its market, and I work with some very demanding but talented individuals. I admire my co-workers for their knowledge and their grasp of all this new technology in the newsroom and the control room. And I admire them for their journalistic instincts. I feel blessed to be back. This is an opportunity that I had wanted for a very long time in the back of my mind, but didn’t feel qualified to get a chance to get back in. But after RCI and I parted ways, I prayed on it, and I obsessed on it, because I know, there’s nothing in this life left... that I want to do.

So here I am, hoping to make a difference in society again by the contribution I’m making with the stories I’m pulling from the wires, the scripts I’m writing from press releases, stories I decide to drag over from previous shows, breaking news we get from the scanners that we send photogs and reporters out on… live shots…. and news tips from viewers. The only thing is, and this is what frustrates me the most here… is Father Time… which I guess is the same frustration that I faced more than ten years ago, but I just don’t remember. Time plays tricks on me now. It feels as if I’m always running out the clock… getting my show on air… oh we always make it in…come 5 a.m. and I’m sitting in my producer’s chair. But every day I wish I had more time to go over my scripts again… rewrite or re-edit that piece of video or reassign my reads…. do one more mic check for that live shot! But then again… the push on the clock… is what makes each newscast so exciting and thrilling… it’s fast paced… and every day I get my exercise in…. racing down the hall from the newsroom to the control room and through the studio… and boy oh boy… I’m so happy… I’m so blessed… I’m so glad to back here again!

Comments

  1. Awesome! I am so so happy for you! I'm so happy this career excites you and challenges you and pushes you to be your best and better. Miss you much! C

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Uproar over Cleopatra and Black/African-American Ancestry

I am so glad my parents decided to do their homework before they named me after a huge powerful figure such as Queen Nefertiti. Nefertiti was known for her beauty and her influence over her kingdom in Egypt and her pharaoh Akhenaton. Although there’s speculation of her birth place, evidence from an archeological dig back in December 1912, when her bust was unearthed, shows that Nefertiti was definitely a deep brown beauty. But not all of her successors have that trait in common. More than a thousand years later, another powerful woman ruled Egypt. Her name was Cleopatra. Cleopatra was of Greek origin and ruled during a period of Greek occupation of Egypt. She was very fair skinned and there is no evidence that there is a direct link to African Ancestry. You can find more details from the blog, BlackInCairo that I follow here... http://blackincairo.blogspot.com/2010/06/cleopatra-aint-black-noise-in-cairo-and.html . So all the folks in the Black community crying because Angelina Jolie is...

I’m Not Going To Let The 2010 Census Define Me

I hope I don’t get in trouble, but I had been putting off filling out my 2010 Census Form, and now that I have filled it out, I may not have given the response that the government wanted to see. I had been aware of the controversy regarding the word Negro, and I wasn’t too eager to deal with it. Still, I completely expected to have the opportunity to check a box that read Black, or a box that read African American or a box that read Negro. Instead, last night as I sat down to fill out my form, I discovered lumped together under one box to check, read the line.... Black, African American or Negro. Hmm... So have we fully embraced this new millennium or have we traveled back in time to the 1920’s? I remember last month talking with my Grandmother regarding the latest census and asking what she thought about the word Negro being added, and her response was; “Why did they bring that word back?” My point exactly! The reasoning behind that was because the Census Bureau felt that some older g...

They Come Flying to Me

Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here, ever this day (or night) be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and guide. Amen I don’t collect Angels, but I do have a collection. And I never thought about it before, but all my little angels have been gifted to me. Today I had a visit from an angelic older lady who noticed one of my angels on top of my office desk. She mentioned that she keeps angels next to photos of her children as protection. She said she had quite a huge collection but she purchased not a one. She said all of her pieces had been given to her by loved ones, and she’s come to believe that her Angels have flown to her. As she said this and shared her story, I connected and realized that all my angels have come flying to me too! I remember once at a Melungeon conference with my Mom, sister and ex-boyfriend when a total stranger came up to me and handed me her angel lapel pin. She tapped me on the shoulder as I sat next to family in the hotel c...